- In August 2019, the California Department of Education (CDE) released the first draft of an Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum, which was roundly condemned by Jewish organizations.
- Californians submitted thousands of public comments, community leaders and media spoke out, and CDE committed to rewrite the draft.
- The CDE released the new draft on August 3, 2020.
- Numerous changes were made, but there are lingering concerns.
- In August 2020, the legislature passed a bill requiring all students graduating from public or charter high schools in California (starting in 2020) to complete an ethnic studies course — though Governor Newsom vetoed it.
- In December 2020, an appendix was included that had lesson plans including the Jewish American experience, as well as many other communities who felt the curriculum was incomplete without these important perspectives.
We need YOUR help emailing decision makers to ensure that the final ESMC is free of antisemitism.
Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum Comment Feedback
This petition is now closed.
End date: Jan 21, 2021
Signatures collected: 20